Taxes are assessed on what you own as of July 1 (e.g., the current year 2008 is based on what you owned on July 1, 2007)
- Taxes may be paid in halves and are due on September 1 and March 1. A discount of 2½% applies to each half before the due dates. Interest of 9% annually begins October 1 and April 1. Publication fees are applied on November 1 and May 1.
- Real estate is assessed on how the deed is recorded on July 1. It may take two tax years for the tax tickets to be in the new owner’s name.
- Tax statements are mailed on July 15. If you have not received a statement by August, please call the tax office.
- Property owners are responsible for knowing how many tax statements they should have and ensuring that all taxes are paid.
- Landowners are responsible for ensuring that their real estate taxes are paid by the mortgage company if they have an escrow account.
- Any changes to your tax statement (i.e., address, assessed value, etc.) are done in the Assessor’s Office.
Tax Lien Land Sale
The Greenbrier County Tax Lien Land Sale is held once a year between Oct. 15 and Nov. 22 at the courthouse.
- The land sale date and delinquent list are published three times beginning in September.
- Bidding begins at 10:00 a.m. Bidders need to arrive at least 30 minutes before the sale in order to register and receive a bidder number.
- Bids cannot be accepted by mail, telephone or fax.
- Bids start at the delinquent amount and the current tax amount.
- After the sale, it may take several hours to process the bids. Bidders will be called in individually to pay for the sale.
- Payment must be made the day of the sale by cash, check or money order.
- After the land sale, redemptions are handled by the County Clerk’s Office.
Motor Vehicle Renewals
The tax office can renew your vehicle license for one year only.
- You need your paid personal property tax receipt for the previous year and your current insurance information to renew your license.
- There is a $1.00 additional fee to renew your license at the tax office.
- If you have purchased a new vehicle, please contact the Assessor’s Office.