Planning & Permit

Building Checklist

   Please refer to the following checklist when applying for any type of building permit. These items will need to be provided to the Permits Department prior to the issuance of a building permit.

Note: Plans will be retained on file in the Permits Department during construction.

A permit is required for ALL construction or expansion of any structure within Greenbrier County. This is to include plumbing, gas, electrical and mechanical (i.e. mechanical systems that are permanently install and utilized to provide control of environmental conditions and related processes within buildings). At the tie of the permit application, the applicant will need to provide the following applicable information as a part of the permit application.


Properties are located and owners verified using the tax district, map and parcel numbers. This information will be requested at the time of permit application. You can find this information on your property tax documentation or if you need assistance, you may contact the Assessor’s Office or Map Room at
   (304) 647-6615.

Physical Address

A physical address must be obtained from the Greenbrier County Emergency Communications Center (911 Office) for all new structures in the County. This address will be required for utility hookup, etc. To obtain a new physical address or confirm a physical address, contact the 911 Office at      (304) 647-7911. (Must be issued before the occupancy permit can be issued.)


For public sewer and water, a written certification documenting adequate water and sewer services will be required. This information can be obtained from the municipality supplying the water and either PSD 1 or 2, depending where you are located.

If you are installing a well and septic system, you must apply for both at the Greenbrier County Health Department.

To ensure that adequate systems are in place, well and septic permits will be required for existing systems, as well as new. It may be necessary for the applicant to provide the Health Department with the name of the person(s) that initially obtained the well and/or septic permits. The Assessor’s and/or County Clerk’s Offices may be able to provide assistance with the research needed to obtain the names of past owners.


According to FEMA regulation, all construction sites must be evaluated for proximity to the designated floodplain. A floodplain determination must be completed by the Planning & Permits Department and can be done at the time of the application. For additional information, you may contact the Greenbrier County Floodplain Manager at      (304) 647-6687.

If it is determined that the planned construction is located in the floodplain, in order to obtain a permit, you may be asked to provide information that includes but is not limited to the following: Elevation and dry flood proofing certificates certified by a registered professional engineer or surveyor; construction and site plans detailing the location, elevation methodology and flood proofing design.

NOTE: Dry flood proofing is for commercial buildings only.


Be advised that properties located in the following tax districts fall under the regulations of the Greenbrier County Zoning Ordinance: Fort Spring District (6) and Lewisburg District (9). Contact the Greenbrier County Planning & Permits Department at          (304) 647-6687 for details concerning zoning regulations.


The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) requires a Construction Storm Water Permit for land/soil disturbance of one or more acres. For more information, visit or call      (304) 926-0499 ext. 1194.

Soil reports and wetland information is available from US Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Services in Lewisburg at      (304) 645-6172.

Site Plan

A detailed site plan will be required. It will need to show the property lines, the foot print of the building, any existing structures, proposed driveways, surface drainage discharge and erosion control if needed, lot size, slope of the ground, wells, utility taps, septic system areas, streams, roads and any other applicable information. Hand drawn plans are permitted for residential jobs only.

Design Plan

You will need to submit 2 sets of design plans, specifications or construction documents that include the designer’s contact information. Hand drawn plans may be submitted for residential work if submitted with a materials list. One set will be retained on file with the department while the work is in progress.